Please read all requirements and criteria before submitting artwork.
Artists possess a powerful tool to evoke social change without uttering a single word, they can enlighten, educate and affect change around the world. Embracing Our Differences Michigan invites you to participate in creating a society where diversity is embraced and individuality is celebrated. Become a part of this change by submitting your original art to Embracing Our Difference Michigan its outdoor juried art exhibit featuring 60 billboard-size images measuring 16 feet (5m) wide by 12.5 feet (4m) high. Twenty banners will be the work of Washtenaw County artists. Each work of art will reflecting their interpretation of our theme “enriching lives through diversity and inclusion.”
The exhibit will be on display from May through the end of September, 2023 in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti parks. A very unique opportunity to experience the importance of diversity and inclusion in our lives.
Who May Enter?
Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti artists, professionals, amateurs, students – everyone can participate. There is no submission or entry fee. There is no restriction on entering art which has been submitted to previous competitions
Appearance, Racial, Differences Physical or Mental, Religious or Cultural Differences, Environmental Stewardship, Social Economic Status, Positive Attitude, Inclusiveness, Self-acceptance, Self-awareness, Taunting & Bullying Confrontation, Human Rights & Equality, Understanding & Kindness, Empowerment Impairment Language
Your submission must be an original concept and execution and is not a copy or reproduction of the work
Before submitting artwork, please verify that your artwork meets these requirements:
- Your art must be HORIZONTAL in orientation which means that it must be wider than it is tall – submissions that do not meet this requirement will be disqualified.
- Your art should measure or fit an aspect ratio of 12.8” (325.12 mm) wide by 8.8” (223.52 mm) high.
- Your digital file must be a high resolution image of no less than 300 dpi (the higher the better).
- Include a brief (150 word maximum) “Artist Statement” explaining your art, your creative process and/or what the theme means to you.
- Once submitted no edits can be made. If edits need to be made please contact admin and we will unlock your submission.
- Theme is clear and easily understood — Talking points may expand understanding of the submission but are not necessary.
- Aesthetic quality.
- Effectiveness in large scale format – Will the submission effectively reproduce in a large scale format (16 feet wide by 12.5 feet high).
- Originality in concept — Does the submission explore a theme in an unusual or previously unused format?
- Power and Impact of Message — Is the submission worthy of discussion?
- Art Medium — Does the submission use an art medium in an interesting or fresh manner which will add to mix of media in final grouping?
- Originality in imagery and in content – Does the submission use images or content obtained from other media in common use?
We are pleased to honor the work of artists with the following cash awards:
- $1,000 Best-in-Show Adult
- $250 Best-in-Show High School Student
- $150 Best-in-show Middle School Student
- $100 Best-in-show Elementary School Student
If you have any questions about submitting art work please email us.